Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Women who Create are Women who can Bless!

Women of faith are some of the most creative women around. Many use their God-given talents for both pleasure and for ministry. The skills are as diverse as are the women who practice them. One of my favorites is sewing. I am most glad when I am able to use it for ministry, and for giving to others. Also, cooking, gardening and giving away the 'fruits' of my labor. I am amazed at the skills and natural gifts of women in my congregation. They sew, knit, crochet, draw, cook/bake, sing, you name it. The principle of God blessing us with good things and abilities so that we may become a blessing to others is important to remember because it reflects who we are in Christ (see 2 Corinthians 1:3-4; 2 Corinthians 9:6-15).

I was reminded of these things when my daughter brought me back the heirloom dresses I had made for my granddaughter several years ago. I have not taken the time in a very long time to create in my sewing room - only to supply. I had forgotten what God had given me to use, and I praise Him for reminding me. It is a double blessing for us to express our natural gifts freely - we are blessed in the opportunity for increased intimacy with God as we create, and those who will view or receive the beautiful work of our hands will also be blessed.

I have a friend who used her God-given talents in sewing and needlecraft to teach young women who are learning to re-orient their lives to care for themselves and their child. Her gift of sewing machines, time, fabric and supplies, not to mention of herself and her time are a real inspiration. And the blessing has impacted the young women by building their self-confidence as they realize that they have a hidden and valuable talent, offering them a new skill for self-maintenance and for creating for their child and/or future home, a creative outlet for their energies, and possible income source. My friend not only gave blessings - she created a legacy.

What do you create? How have you used your natural God-given talents to serve others?

For those who cook, any favorite recipes?

2 comments:

  1. A couple of comfort foods, both semi-homemade.

    Kush (adapted by a colleague of mine from a West African dish - it cooks up quickly)

    In a cast iron pan melt some butter (I start with at least 2 tablespoons and add more if needed). When it is bubbling, add yellow cornmeal - about a scant cup and stir. Add a pinch of salt, and I like red bell pepper chopped up in it, and stir all together until the cornmeal is cooked (like doing a roue), then add about a 1/4 cup of a premade/purchased quality low-sodium chicken broth (veggie stock if you don't do chicken) or more until it gets thickened to taste. I like mine in a chunky consistency. Some people start theirs with bacon and use the drippings and butter to cook the cornmeal in - I prefer the first method - it's faster! Serve hot.

    Circuit Hash (an old recipe updated with semi-homemade)

    In a large cast-iron skillet, fry up a slab of bacon until crisp (a few strips - if your diet can handle it, side meat adds a particularly dense flavor; alas I must use turkey or preferably beef bacon). Remove the bacon, then add some onion chopped semi-fine (about a half or to your liking), a couple of beefsteak size tomatoes diced - skin and all; saute until onion softens, adding salt and coarse black pepper to taste. Add a half a box of frozen corn, and a large can of butter beans, drained, and the fried bacon (don't crumble!). Add a smidgeon of chicken broth to keep the concoction 'moist' and bubbly. Let it simmer together for at least 30 minutes, adding liquid as necessary. I like to put this in a slow cooker when possible after I saute the onion and tomatoes. For an added layer of flavor consider adding a couple of tablespoons of finely chopped bell pepper, and a little cayenne. Heat up those leftover greens and cornbread to serve alongside this dish. OMg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some ladies (and gents, too) use their skills to provide gifts of warmth during the cold season. If you have polar fleece pieces from other projects consider using them to make tube hats, neckerchiefs, mittens, and similar items to give to a local charity, or offer to a school for those children who arrive at school without enough winter wear.

    Quick crocheters, too, may have enough leftover yarn for a scarf/neckerchief, or tube hat. Family members can hold a craft afternoon to make such gifts for others in need (recent violent storms have deprived many persons of their apparel, e.g.). Who knows? This may become a family or small group activity annually during the season.

    ReplyDelete