Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Infant Baptism or Pedo-Baptism -- My Short Statement

Many Anglo-Catholic based denominations - Protestant Episcopal, Anglicanism, Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, etc. - and other Christianized religions readily promote the tradition of infant baptism. Personally, I do not believe this practice to be Biblical. I do know that Bible scholars are on both sides of the fence about this. I will never say, and please understand me clearly, I will never say that a person's baptism is invalid - I am not a judge, otherwise I would need to question my own baptism. However, and this is based on Bible doctrine and on the Gospel - baptism does not save you. I will say it again: Baptism - no matter what the age of the person - does not save you. John the Baptist baptized scores and scores of persons in the Jordan River - his baptism was not salvific, rather, it was an acknowledgement by those being baptized that they needed a savior who would take their sins away. The water of baptism does not wash sins away. Yet, baptism is one of two sacraments that Jesus required for followers. He only requires 2 - baptism and the Lord's Supper. Each of these sacraments are symbols or representation of the new relationship with Christ and the Father, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit - they in and of themselves do not have saving power. A person, whether an infant or elderly person being baptized, cannot through the ministrations of the priest or other religious professional be saved. Jesus said that "no one can come to me unless the Father draw him." It is not until God initiates and authors the faith within a person can that person come to a saving knowledge of Christ and profess his or her belief in him, ask for forgiveness for rejecting Christ and for all one's sins, and commit to accepting and obeying Christ as Lord. In my experience I've not known a baby or toddler who is able to do that in and of themselves. Jesus commanded that his followers make disciples of people and then baptize them as they profess belief in the Lord. Discipleship followed by baptism, a public acknowledgement that the person has come to a saving faith and knowledge of Christ, and has made Jesus their Lord. It is God who adopts that person into His family - not a priest, minister, or other religious professional or group of people.

I did say short, didn't I? In another post I'll provide the exact scriptures or in the meantime you can use your own concordance or explore the two views on baptism online.

1 comment:

  1. p.s. Because of the tradition of infant baptism, some denominations will make available the opportunity for a youth to assume his or her own faith journey through confirmation or first communion activity. While admirable, and a public demonstration of the desire to assume that responsibility, this action does not guarantee salvation either. I feel like the bearer of unpleasant news, which in this instance I am. I am not attempting to belittle or hurt anyone, or question anyone's sincerity of belief. No way. However, I was glad I learned or began learning at the ripe age of 40-50 something what the Bible actually teaches about salvation and sanctification. I didn't have a clue before because God had not until that time began my faith journey and brought me to a place where I could openly and soberly acknowledge my dependence on Him and on the sacrificial provision of His Son, my Lord and Savior, and to learn how the Holy Spirit would be with me continually to mold and shape me into the image of Christ. It will take the rest of my lifetime, and it is because I know who I am in Christ that I am enabled to love and serve Him. That it is not up to me to save myself - all I am asked to do is obey and submit to the Holy Spirit's work.

    ReplyDelete