Saturday, September 2, 2017

Sewing for joy

On Easter weekends, the youth at my church participate in a project called "30-Hour Famine," where the opportunity for raising funds for food insecurities, crises and disasters leads them to go without solid food for 30 hours. They have raised thousands of dollars for WorldVision, which has been able to often be doubled or tripled by other donors. On Holy Saturday, the 'famining' youth engage in a service project; a couple of years ago, they fashioned blocks to express something they are grateful for about Resurrection Sunday. I took them home and assembled into a cross for a hanging (I won't say how long I stayed up piecing and completing the hanging), and it now adorns the sanctuary during Easter season. On another occasion they made decorated t-shirts for a charity our church supports (it was so cool to have teen guys sewing and designing!)

I was asked to do an Advent stole vestment, and made this (still needed final ironing in this pic).

Another large banner for the church sanctuary for Pentecost (ignore my basement floor 'storage system' - it was about 2 in the morning when I took this pic). Using my phone camera doesn't do the piece justice. It is about 5.5 by 4 feet. The flames and Spirit depiction of a flying dove are in the background. I want to make another companion banner that has the I AM tetragram letters and the name of the Holy Spirit in Hebrew.

This is why I want to retire - there are days when I swell with the ideas of praising the Lord through my sewing gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment