Saturday, January 4, 2014

From the Bucket of "You Know You're a Grandma When"

from the bucket of 'you know you're a grandma when'... I mentioned to the grandkids that I hadn't seen Wizard of Oz in a while. "Ooo" they responded, "can we see it with you?" "Yay!" my heart said knowing I'd get to spend some cool quality time with the young'uns. So we huddle into my work room to all watch it. I'm humming some of the songs. And my grandson is asking questions, and my granddaughte...r is always inquisitive about Judy Garland and wants to know who in the movie is still alive today. So we're all there, and about 1/2 hr into the movie grandson says he has to go fetch something. So we pause the movie until he returns. Then 15 minutes later granddaughter says she'll be right back. So we pause the movie. She returns with her iPod which, after she's reseated herself, she plugs into her ears. My grandson bemoans the fact that his iPod is not charged. He has to go for water or some snack or something. I pause the dvd again. He's back shortly. So the witch has thrown fire at the scare crow, and the tin man is putting it out - you know, the exciting scene before they get close to the Emerald City. Then as they approach the field and are mesmerized by the sights, and the witch says uh unh, and the lion and Dorothy fall down asleep, grandson wants to know what's happening. Granddaughter is bobbing her head up and down listening to her music. Then a short while later - when the flying monkeys arrive, grandson says he has to go fetch something. I didn't pause the dvd this time. Which was just as well, since he didn't return. I think one of his Nick shows was on. Granddaughter did look up every now and then, but the earphones remained firmly plugged in her head. Well, at least she stayed. We remained together through Dorothy's recovery in her own bed, and the infamous "there's no place like home." And as soon as THE END rolled up, granddaughter told me how great it was and glad we could watch it together and rolled out. I now realize why I'm grateful that these modern music videos only last 5 or so minutes because I probably couldn't take much more of those either and would likewise do a bunk on the kiddies. Ahhh, the joys of grandmotherhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment